Young media trainees get the scoop and interview Suzi Quatro as part of Havering Council project

19:01 27 August 2012

Eliot Hocking and Ciaran Puxley interviewing Suzi Quatro

Eliot Hocking and Ciaran Puxley interviewing Suzi Quatro


Two budding broadcasters gave the Recorder a run for its money when they interviewed Suzi Quatro as part of a council-funded youth project.

Eliot Hocking, 17, asked the rock legend about youth culture and the importance of community events like the Havering Show, while Ciaran Puxley, also 17, filmed the discussion using professional kit.

The pair are taking part in a media training project at Havering Council’s Myplace community centre in Harold Hill. The project aims to make young people more confident and employable.

Eliot, Ciaran and a group of other teenagers from the project spent Monday interviewing members of the public at the Havering Show and capturing the results on film.

The final video will be presented to local employers to show off the youngsters’ media skills.

“It was interesting,” said Eliot. “Interviewing Suzi Quatro was obviously an experience unlike any other. It felt like it was very important to the project because it gives it a bit more star status.

“It seems to us that a lot of young people don’t have many opportunities and have a very negative view in society. We’re just trying to promote young people in a positive way.”

Youth project coordinator Olly Akanwo said she hoped the work would help young people value themselves more.

“It’s all about capturing a positive youth image,” she told the Recorder. “We’ve been giving them training and getting them to identify within themselves assets that are appealing to employers.

“We want to highlight that young people are responsible, communicators, leaders, trustworthy – all the things employers look for.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest London news

Wednesday, November 25, 2015
Junior doctors held a massive protest in London last month over the contracts and now plan to strike for three days in December (Picture: Naomi Ackerman/ London24)

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt today agreed to negotiate the junior doctor contract with the British Medical Association (BMA) in talks held by conciliatory service Acas, but the BMA say his consenting so late is ‘political game playing’.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

Read more
You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Read more

Latest Tech News