December 11 2013 Latest news:
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Carl Jenkinson has revealed that Finland have approached him about pledging his international future to them but he is delaying his decision.
The Arsenal right back has made the seamless switch from then League One outfit Charlton Athletic last year – where he played only nine games - to being a regular in the Gunners’ first team.
And it is now thought that the the 20-year-old could be in England boss Roy Hodgson’s plans for the forthcoming World Cup qualifying double-header against San Marino and Poland.
Jenkinson enjoys dual nationality and has already played youth football for both England and his mother’s homeland of Finland.
Asked if the Scandanavian nation have been in touch, the defender confirmed: “They’ve contacted me.
“My exact words when I spoke to them were that I’m concentrating on my club football.
“That’s all there is to it and you can read into that how you want.
“I’ll have to make a decision at some point but as I’ve said many times, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.”
He added: “I’m just focused on the here and now, the next game and that’s tomorrow with Olympiakos [in the Champions League].”
Europe’s premier competition is where the right back made his competitive debut for Arsenal, coming on as a substitute in the match against Udinese last season.
He has played in all but one of the north London side’s games this term and has earned rave reviews for his performances.
Jenkinson said: “I feel comfortable at this level now.
“It was a big step up from what I was used to [at Charlton]. I always believed in my ability and had confidence that I can play at this level.
“I went from Udinese where it was a great high for the club, and I was pleased with my own performance. I feel comfortable now and I’m relatively pleased with how I’m playing.”