European champion DeGale must be ‘switched on’ against Sanavia

16:15 18 April 2012

James DeGale

James DeGale

PA Wire/Press Association Images

James DeGale knows he cannot afford any lapse in concentration when he finally defends his European super-middleweight title in Denmark on Saturday night.

DeGale has not fought in the six months since he wrested the EBU belt from Piotr Wilczewski, largely due to an ongoing contractual dispute with promoter Frank Warren.

And, as he prepares to face former European champion Cristian Sanavia, the Harlesden star admits it has often been difficult to maintain his focus during the most frustrating period of his professional career.

As well as holding two European crowns, 37-year-old Sanavia was also briefly WBC world champion back in 2004, and DeGale told london24.com: “The pedigree’s there – he’s been there and done it.

“Maybe this is his last hurrah and that’s when a fighter can be at his most dangerous. I’ve trained hard, I’ve had good sparring with people like Billy Joe Saunders and John Ryder and I’ve left no stone unturned.

“I know I’m going to have to be switched on, but it can be hard to keep motivated when there’s no fight coming up. I thought I was going to be fighting in February and I had a 10-week training camp for that.

“Six months of inactivity at this point in my career is stupid. I should be having five or six fights a year and to not box for that length of time is hard.

“The more I think about it, maybe I’ve been fast-tracked too quickly, but hopefully soon we can get the ball rolling again. I’m European champion and with a couple more fights I could be boxing for a world title.”

For legal reasons, DeGale is unable to discuss the Warren issue, but he expects the matter to be resolved during the coming weeks.

Provided he can see off the challenge of Sanavia at Frederikshavn’s Nord Arena, DeGale is well aware that speculation will soon resume about the likelihood of a rematch with former Dale Youth ABC rival George Groves, who relieved him of the British title last year.

Groves announced earlier this week that an injury had forced him to withdraw from his WBO world title fight with Robert Stieglitz, which had been scheduled for next month.

A new date for the fight is yet to be announced and DeGale added: “I’m sure if Groves does win it, people will be calling for him to fight me again because they know the rivalry’s there. It’s a genuine rivalry and it’s always going to be there.

“I need more experience but, depending on the situation after a few more fights, let’s see. I’m on my own path and if Groves happens to be on that path as well, I’ll have to deal with him.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Stories from SNAP.PA

And while we’re at it, why don’t we sell all the Queen’s homes and move her and Phil into a two-bed in Grimsby?

Read more

The Australian actor has said he can empathise with his big screen alter-ego’s feelings about artificial intelligence.

Read more

There’s something beautiful about art inspiring science like this.

Read more

Promoted content

A look at one of our previous Design Fairs

Chelsea Old Town Hall will be the venue for the renowned Desire Fair from 6-8 March 2015. This stunning mixed media jewellery and silversmithing event where visitors can purchase direct from contemporary designer makers selected from the best in the UK is an event not to be missed.

Take our quiz and find out!

A survey conducted last year revealed that Britain is the fourth sexiest country in the world, with the UK sex toy industry worth an estimated £250 million a year.

Don't Miss...

Unsurprisingly, Ireland’s players scored higher in our rankings but were there any glimmers of hope for England?

They’ve both had outstanding Premier League seasons, so how did they get on at Wembley?

Chelsea gained revenge for that 5-3 defeat in January – here’s how it played out.