March 11 2014 Latest news:
By Len Whaley, Boxing correspondent
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Tony Conquest won the WBO inter-continental title
Tony Conquest opened the door to further title honours when he claimed the vacant WBO inter-continental championship, blasting a seven-round victory over tough Dubliner Ian Tims at York Hall on Friday night.
Tims, who has been hammered to the canvas, was pulled out by his corner in the interval before the eighth session after the Dagenham fighter had dominated the fight to record his 10th straight victory.
Conquest boosted by his first-round win over former British champion Leon Williams at this same venue on his 28th birthday in July, underlined his improvement as he dominated the action against a respected rival.
“He was certainly the toughest guy I have faced, but I was pleased with the way I handled him,” said Conquest, with a big smile to match the large-size WBO title belt.
Tims had also won nine consecutive contests, before suffering a points loss to Juho Haapoja in Finland when challenging for the EU crown in January, but was always outgunned as Conquest took control of the contest with solid attacks.
‘The Dublin Tank,’ hardly had a chance to get into gear as he was rocked by powerful rights and suffered an eye injury before a seventh-round assault that saw him floored by a barrage of blows ended by a powerful right.
The Irishman hauled himself upright, but looked relieved to survive until the bell and when his corner were reluctant for him to continue, referee Richie Davies sensibly waved off the contest.
Conquest showed improved punching power and will certainly be in line to face the winner of the clash between Jon Lewis Dickinson and former champion Shane McPhilbin after they meet for the vacant British cruiserweight title next month.
“Tony’s peformance against a tough opponent proved he is up there with the top boys in the division,” said manager Richard Clark, who guided the former Dagenham amateur alongside trainer Jason Rowland.
The chief supporting contest provided the fight of the night, when Ian Bailey was a shock winner against previously unbeaten Lewis Pettitt to record a ninth-round stoppage for the vacant Southern Area super-bantamweight title.
TKO gym fighter Bailey came under early pressure from Pettit, but battled through to stop his rival in an all-action clash that earned the pair a £1,000 bonus as the Rainham Steel fight-of-the-night.
Bright prospects Tom Baker and Charlie Hoy continued their winning ways with points verdicts in their four-round supporting contest on the Queensberry promotions bill.
Tom Baker gave an improved performance as he took every round against Croydon middleweight Joe Walsh, jabbing his way effectively to his latest victory with a 40-36 verdict from referee Ken Curtis.
Flyweight Hoy kept the pressure on the more experienced Anwar Alfadi and took a 40-37 decision from referee Robert Williams after rocking the Sheffield boxer with solid shots in the third and fourth rounds.