March 14 2014 Latest news:
Monday, May 28, 2012
Rangers forward considers his future after injury-plagued season
DJ Campbell may be forced to leave Loftus Road this summer as QPR manager Mark Hughes prepares to sign at least one new striker.
Hughes is keen to bolster his attacking options after helping to keep Rangers in the Premier League, and has already made enquiries over Fulham free agent Andy Johnson.
Johnson’s contract expired at the end of the season, and Hughes, who managed the 31-year-old as Fulham boss, now wants to persuade him to follow in the footsteps of Bobby Zamora, who left the Cottagers for QPR in January.
That could spell the end of DJ Campbell’s brief Rangers career, with the man who scored 13 top-flight goals for Blackpool in 2010-11 falling further down the order of strikers.
Campbell signed for the Rs last summer, but made just 12 appearances – 11 from the bench – thanks to a combination of injuries and the January arrivals of Djibril Cisse and Bobby Zamora.
QPR released eight players last week, but although Hughes is understood to be keen to keep 30-year-old Campbell at Loftus Road, the player is now weighing up his options.
Hughes’s interest in Johnson comes at the start of what is shaping up to be another summer of transition at QPR, with chairman Tony Fernandes last week promising a ‘busy transfer window’.
Johnson scored 11 goals in all competitions for the Cottagers last season, including a well-taken hat-trick against Rangers in October, leading to a QPR bid in January which was rejected.
Hughes has also assured midfielder Shaun Wright-Phillips that he has a future at the club.
Wright-Phillips had a poor season after joining from Manchester City, failing to score, but has been told by the manager that he is part of his plans for next season.
Meanwhile, QPR look set to miss out on the signing of AC Milan defender Taye Taiwo.
Taiwo spent the second half of the season on loan from the Serie A side, making 15 appearances and scoring one goal.
However, Rangers’ hopes of keeping the Nigeria international look set to be dashed after he admitted he would be keen to join Portuguese side Benfica.
“If Benfica are considering signing me for the next season, then I can only thank them for showing an interest in me,” he said.
“My plan is to develop and improve myself every year and next season it will also be like that. Benfica would be a good club for me to develop and improve myself.”
Follow me on Twitter @QPRTimes.