May 23 2013 Latest news:
Chelsea captain John Terry arriving at Westminster Magistrates' Court for the first day of his trial in which he is accused of racially abusing fellow footballer Anton Ferdinand. Photo: Lewis Whyld/PA Wire
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
The racism trial of Chelsea footballer and former England captain John Terry will resume today with the evidence of police officers.
Terry, 31, denies racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand during a Premier League match on October 23 last year after the pair repeatedly traded insults.
Ferdinand, brother of Terry’s former England centre-half partner Rio, began goading Terry over an alleged relationship he had with Vanessa Perroncel, the partner of his team-mate Wayne Bridge.
Yesterday, Ferdinand told Westminster Magistrates’ Court he dismissed the mutual name calling as “banter” and initially denied Terry had used a racist obscenity on the pitch.
But after the match, his then girlfriend showed him a clip of their exchange posted on YouTube, and he believed Terry had used the racist obscenity, calling him a “f****** black c***”.
Ferdinand told the court that if he had realised at the time he would have told officials.
The court also heard from prosecution and defence lip readers yesterday that it was impossible to say with total accuracy what footage of Terry speaking to Ferdinand actually showed.
Today, police officers involved in the investigation will give evidence at the trial which is presided over by chief magistrate Howard Riddle.
Terry denies racially aggravated public order for which the maximum punishment is a £2,500 fine.