AVB gives Tottenham transfer update and responds to Willian rumours

13:53 19 August 2013

Willian in action for former club Shakhtar Donetsk. Picture: Stephen Pond/EMPICS Sport

Willian in action for former club Shakhtar Donetsk. Picture: Stephen Pond/EMPICS Sport

EMPICS Sport

Andre Villas-Boas has denied reports Tottenham have bid for Willian, although he concedes he is a fan of the Anzhi Makhachkala forward.

Even though Tottenham have spent almost £60million on new signings this summer, Villas-Boas is still looking for new additions to his squad as he looks to secure Champions League qualification.

The Tottenham manager was interested in signing Willian when he was at Shakhtar Donetsk last season and the Portuguese was also linked with the Brazilian when he was in charge of Chelsea.

Anzhi owner Suleiman Kerimov is looking to sell most of the club’s highly-paid stars in order to shrink their vast wage budget.

At a press conference to announce Tottenham’s support for NHS campaign ‘Get to know cancer’, Villas-Boas was asked whether he had made a bid for the 25-year-old former Shakhtar player.

He replied: “No, no.” When asked whether he admired the player, the Tottenham manager said: “Yes. This is a player who I have spoken about in the past, not very long ago.

“He is a player who I appreciate. He belongs to them and I respect them so I wouldn’t like to extend myself too much.”

Liverpool are also thought to be keen on Willian’s signature.

Tottenham broke their transfer record twice to sign Paulinho and then Roberto Soldado, while Nacer Chadli and Etienne Capoue have also joined in the last few weeks.

Yet it was clear from Sunday’s 1-0 win at Crystal Palace, which came courtesy of a Soldado penalty, that the team are far from the finished article.

Spurs are light in defence following the sale of Steven Caulker and Villas-Boas concedes there is a good chance of at least one more player arriving before the transfer window shuts on September 2.

“We haven’t finished,” the 35-year-old said.

“We have a very, very good squad. We have done most of our activity in the market, but we are looking further on that. There is a possibility (of new signings), yes.”

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest football news

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
West Ham United's Diafra Sakho celebrates after he scored the opening goal of the game for his side during the Barclays Premier League match at Turf Moor, Burnley.

West Ham’s summer holidays will be cut short with the news that they have officially qualified for next season’s Europa League.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Arsene Wenger manager of Arsenal looks on .  (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has hit out at FIFA’s international summer schedule and believes the move to start the new Premier League season a week earlier in August was “the wrong decision”.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Paul Pogba of Juventus FC  (Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images)

Former Chelsea defender David Luiz hopes France international Paul Pogba will reject a move to Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford in order to join PSG.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Eric Dier. Pic: Phil Cole/PA Wire

Eric Dier believes Mauricio Pochettino’s philosophy is “set in stone” after the Argentine’s first season in charge, and that Spurs will be ready to challenge for the top four next season.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Toby Alderweireld of Southampton  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

Southampton’s on-loan defender Toby Alderweireld hopes his future can be resolved quickly.

Don't Miss...

What is this?

Near You Now

Competitions

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Read more