Wenger backs Arsenal new boy Monreal to develop attacking threat

15:15 27 February 2013

Nacho Monreal, Arsenal. Photo: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

Nacho Monreal, Arsenal. Photo: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger feels Spain international Nacho Monreal will soon develop into as potent an attacking threat down the flank as he is reliable at the back.

The 27-year-old arrived at the Emirates Stadium on January transfer deadline day in an £8.5million deal from Malaga, which so far looks a more than sound investment.

The defender, standing in for injured England left-back Kieran Gibbs, produced solid displays in his first taste of Barclays Premier League action against Stoke and at Sunderland, before showing glimpses of his forward ability when his run and cross set up a late winner for Santi Cazorla against Aston Villa.

Wenger is confident with time, Monreal will provide another outlet to the Gunners’ many attacking options.

“The first thing you want from your defenders is to defend well, so we cannot reproach him for that. You will see the other aspects of his game more when his confidence has settled,” Wenger said in the March edition of the official Arsenal magazine.

“He is good in the air for a guy of his size, has a quick leap and has looked good.

“Monreal is very strong in other areas too, his crosses for example, and his forward play you will see a bit later.

“It happened with Kieran Gibbs too, the more confident he became the more efficient he was going forward.

“It can take a bit if time to express that side.”

Wenger continued: “There is no better culture shock than to play against Stoke and Sunderland.

“He has not said a word to me about it, but he has spoken with the other players and he has seen all about the passion and commitment of the English game. You can say Nacho Monreal passed that test.”

Related articles

Live Blog Transfer Window Live July 25

 

Latest Stories

11 minutes ago
The Met has been accused of spying on the family of Jean Charles de Menezes (Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

Police spied on the family of Jean Charles de Menezes after the Brazilian was shot dead by officers who mistook him for a suicide bomber in July 2005, it has been claimed.

Read more
The attack took place in Allnutt Way in south London yesterday evening (Picture: Google StreetView)

A man entered a house in Clapham and stabbed a woman multiple times before climbing into his van and driving off, say police.

Read more
I'm not sure what he's going for here but I don't think it's worked (Picture via Gumtree)

In just a pair of shorts lying draped across his beloved Casio keyboard, this south London Gumtree seller is taking an unorthodox approach to shifting his instrument.

Read more