Chelsea supremo provides update over Stamford Bridge’s future

16:44 10 May 2012

Chelsea

Chelsea's current Stamford Bridge stadium

Archant

The Blues may remain at their 107-year-old home

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay has admitted that remaining at Stamford Bridge is an option for the Blues, providing their 107-year-old home can be redeveloped.

The west London club are unable to move to a new ground until they convince the Chelsea Pitch Owners to return the freehold of Stamford Bridge to the club, which they failed to do in October.

“What we’ve all got to do is keep our feet on the ground as far as Battersea is concerned,’’ Gourlay said.

“When we met with the Chelsea Pitch Owners shareholders back in October, we indicated that we were doing everything in our power to stay at Stamford Bridge, to extend Stamford Bridge, and we’ve looked at potential opportunities of a new-build around the Stamford Bridge area.

“Not only does that cause us issues with economics, it also causes us major challenges around potential planning applications and all the rest.

“We do feel, as a club, that to stay among the elite, we’ve got to have a bigger stadium. And one of the things that we discussed with the shareholders was to look at opportunities within a three-mile perimeter of the current site at Stamford Bridge.

“One of them is Battersea. There’s a long way to go, there are other bidders in there, and we just need to see where it goes from there. But if we didn’t enter into that bidding process then we would have lost that as an opportunity if we need it one day down the line. We’ve got to be in a position to make the move quickly.

“But we’ve still not said no to Stamford Bridge and we’re still looking at other alternatives and are working very hard behind the scenes to achieve that.’’

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Submit your Chelsea player ratings

Latest Chelsea news

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Paulo Dybala and Edinson Cavani (Photos by Getty)

Chelsea are set to be in the market in the summer with Didier Drogba’s contract set to expire. Here are eight frontmen the Blues could target.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Radamel Falcao of Manchester United  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

Radamel Falcao believes he will be a Manchester United player next season despite reported interest from Chelsea.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Paulo Dybala of Palermo  (Photo by Tullio M. Puglia/Getty Images)

Palermo have confirmed that Arsenal have entered a bid for highly-rated striker Paulo Dybala.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Pedro   (Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images)

The latest transfer gossip from around the web.

Monday, March 30, 2015
Cheikhou Kouyate, West Ham United.

Cheikhou Kouyate says the success of El-Hadji Diouf, Patrick Vieira and Didier Drogba convinced him that he could play in the Premier League.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Munch on a tasy three course dinner at The Refinery!

“Where to go for a drink near Great Portland Street?” was previously met with blank expressions and shrugs for those local to the area, not anymore, thanks to the opening of The Refinery at Regent’s Place, the eighth bar and restaurant from hugely-successful group Drake & Morgan.

Read more

Chelsea Transfer News