Di Matteo slams Mikel’s Twitter trolls

16:57 21 September 2012

Chelsea

Chelsea's John Obi Mikel in action against Juventus. Photo credit: Nigel French/EMPICS

EMPICS Sport

Roberto Di Matteo today condemned racist abuse received by Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel on Twitter. The Blues last night contacted the police over two “totally unacceptable, disgusting and abhorrent” posts directed at Nigeria star Mikel following Wednesday’s Champions League draw with Juventus.

The abuse occurred at around the same time Mikel deleted his Twitter account, although Chelsea insisted the 25-year-old had not been aware of it and had been intending to leave the social media site in any event.

Manager Di Matteo said today: “His intention was to close the account anyway. So it was a good reason to close it.

“The social media world, especially Twitter - because it’s anonymous and so on - it’s a dangerous vehicle to express yourself.

“I don’t think it’s fair. If somebody has to express his opinion, he should put his face to it.”

The abuse of Mikel occurred after his mistake helped Juve come back from 2-0 down in Wednesday night’s Group E game, something for which the midfielder immediately apologised.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Chelsea news

Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Juventus FC head coach Massimiliano Allegri and Paul Pogba celebrate  (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images)

Juventus star Paul Pogba insists he is yet to make his mind up on his future and is only focused on Saturday’s Champions League final.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Moussa Sissoko celebrates after scoring the opening goal for Newcastle (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Newcastle United midfielder Moussa Sissoko claims Chelsea and Jose Mourinho are monitoring his situation this summer.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Raheem Sterling of Liverpool goes past Mathieu Flamini of Arsenal (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

With the summer now in full swing, well football-wise at least, transfers are the name of the game and here is our handy round-up from around the web this morning.

Monday, June 1, 2015
Diego Costa of Chelsea wants to move back to Spain according to reports (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

We round up Monday’s best transfer news and rumours from around the web as London’s clubs begin their transfer dealings with the English season officially over.

Monday, June 1, 2015
Alexandre Lacazette of Lyon  (Photo by Kaz Photography/Getty Images)

Lyon president Jean Michel Aulas says Liverpool do not have the money or the Champions League football to persuade Alexandre Lacazette to sign for them.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

Read more
The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Read more
You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Read more

Chelsea Transfer News