Drogba snubbed Mourinho offer of Chelsea reunion

11:29 14 July 2013

Didier Drogba. Photo: Owen Humphreys/PA

Didier Drogba. Photo: Owen Humphreys/PA

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Didier Drogba turned down a return to Chelsea, according the the striker’s advisor Ceylan Caliskan.

The Ivorian made himself a hero at Stamford Bridge during eight trophy-laden years at the west London club.

His last act was to score the winning penalty that handed the Blues their first ever Champions League crown last year.

He then left last summer after his contract expired, playing briefly in China with Shanghai Shenhua but returned to Europe in January with Turkish giants Galatasaray.

Jose Mourinho has returned as Chelsea boss this summer and Caliskan has revealed the the Portuguese has tried to lure the 35-year-old back to the Premier League, having originally signed the forward for £24million in 2004.

“Mourinho called Drogba and told him he would like to see him back,” Caliskan told Sky Sports.

“However, Drogba is very happy at Galatasaray and he informed his former coach that he has no intention of leaving.”

Related articles


Live Blog Transfer Window Live July 28

 

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Chelsea news

Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Charlie Austin of QPR celebrates (Photo by Matthew Lewis/Getty Images)

QPR owner Tony Fernandes has admitted he could lose his key players this summer, but only if his £15million valuation is met.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager looks on (Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images)

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that three Arsenal players will not be available to face Chelsea in the Community Shield this weekend.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015
An action shot as Eden Hazard scores for the Blues to make it 3-2 but Red Bulls sealed the win just two minutes later. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)

Chelsea are the favourites to lift the Premier League title next season but will you be backing the treble at 100/1?

Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Wenger and Mourinho

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes Arsenal are ready to challenge for the Premier League crown this season due to the money they have spent.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Pedro Rodriguez of FC Barcelona (Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images)

It is set to be another busy week in the capital and here are Tuesday’s main transfer stories from around the web.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Take in the stunning sites of London from the summit of the O2!

Up at The O2 has teamed up with London24 to give one lucky reader the chance to experience urban mountaineering this summer with an exhilarating 90-minute climb across the roof of one of London’s most iconic landmarks.

Read more
Terrific tea, creamy cakes and splendid sandwiches at Mews of Mayfair.

Celebrate a truly quintessentially British tradition with the chance of winning a luxurious Afternoon Tea for two people at Mews of Mayfair, complete with a glass of Veuve Clicquot champagne.

Read more
Get up close and personal to this global phenomenon!

Following a sell-out 2014 run, the global phenomenon that is Michael Flatley’s Lord of the Dance: Dangerous Games is back in London, running at the Dominion Theatre in the heart of the West End until 5th September 2015.

Read more