Orient boss is closing in on third summer signing
16:42 13 June 2012
67 TUFTON RD CHINGFORD LONDON E4 8LE
Slade in talks with a couple of players
Orient manager Russell Slade is hoping he will have his third signing of the summer in place before the weekend.
The O’s boss was back in London this week looking to strengthen his squad and admitted: “I will be speaking to a couple of players in the next day or two – and I am hoping that one will drop this week.”
Since the end of last season the Orient chief has signed left-back Gary Sawyer from Bristol Rovers, with the 26-year-old joining on a two-year deal.
While midfielder Anthony Griffith, who was out of contract at Port Vale, has also joined.
Top of Slade’s wanted list now is a striker, but with clubs restricted by the new wage-capping system he admits that things have been quiet on the transfer front.
“If you look at most of the clubs in our division there has been very little movement so far,” he said.
Slade has two more main targets and would like to get things sorted in the next couple of weeks.
“It’s all very quiet, but we are talking to players and hopefully something will happen soon,” he said.
“I want to get those targets in before pre-season starts and then after that it will be a case of wheeling and dealing.”
Once Slade has his new additions he can then examine the possibility of trying to keep players like Matt Spring, whose contract expires on June 30, providing he can fit the midfielder into his reduced budget.
Slade’s only concern about the new wage-capping system is that some clubs may try and bend the rules.
“It’s a huge advantage to the bigger clubs given their turnover, but in theory it should provide a level playing field for a lot of sides in our division,” he said.
“The problem will be how some clubs deal with the capping. The system has to be scrutinised properly and it will only work as long as everyone operates by the same rules.”
One thing to cheer the O’s boss has been the re-introduction of seven substitutes next season.
“I’m over the moon that we will be able to name seven substitutes,” he said.
“It was a ridiculous decision to cut it back to five.
“It will be a wonderful opportunity for our youngsters being able to go with seven players.”