Two in now Orient boss Slade targets a striker

18:15 24 May 2012

Orient manager Russell Slade is stepping up his search for a striker

Orient manager Russell Slade is stepping up his search for a striker

Archant

O’s chief is set to hold talks next week

Orient boss Russell Slade will be holding talks with a striker next week as he continues to rebuild his squad.

Defender Gary Sawyer and midfielder Anthony Griffiths have already joined and the O’s chief admitted: “It’s nice to get two in the bag early on and I’ll be talking to a couple more players next week.”

The Orient manager admits he has four main targets this summer. “That’s my main focus,” he said.

“I want to get four in. I have got a replacement for Charlie Daniels and for Stephen Dawson now, which was a necessity.

“Having lost Alex Revell, Jonathan Tehoue and Jamie Cureton, it’s obvious that now I need to get a forward in.

“I might need a defender with Terrell Forbes going and after that it’s a case of trying to wheel and deal and then look at the loan market.”

Slade is disappointed that teenage winger George Porter has rejected the offer of a new contract and looks set to move on.

“We have heard he has turned his contract down and I’m disappointed because it was a good offer. But the bottom line is we will be entitled to compensation once he goes,” said the O’s boss.

Slade is working on a reduced budget due to the new wage-capping system, but is delighted with the capture of Griffith from Port Vale.

“He has been on the radar for a while and I’m pleased to sign him as there were four or five clubs chasing him,” he said.

“He doesn’t mind a tackle, has a good engine and great energy. We need an enforcer in midfield and he is an ideal replacement for Dawson.”

Live Blog Transfer Window Live - July 23

 

Latest Stories

30 minutes ago
A million passengers are expected to fly out from London airports this weekend (Picture via Getty Images)

Expect travel chaos this weekend as almost one million Londoners are expected to fly out from the capital, with roads and railways also expected to be jam-packed as the summer getaway begins.

Read more
33 minutes ago
Three unconnected attacks occurred at Green Park Tube. [Picture courtesy of Sunil060902 and Wikimedia Commons]

London’s Tubes and trains are now a little safer after police arrested 13 people for sexual offences last week – including three men accused of filming up women’s skirts.

Read more
Frank Dobson is set to quit to quit as an MP for Holborn and St Pancras at the next election (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)

Frank Dobson, the veteran Labour MP for Holborn and St Pancras, has confirmed he is quitting politics at the 2015 general election.

Read more