Hughes has no regrets about leaving duo out of Man Utd clash

12:43 09 April 2012

Mark Hughes

Mark Hughes

EMPICS Sport

QPR boss reveals why he left pair on the sidelines

QPR boss Mark Hughes says he does not regret leaving Bobby Zamora or Joey Barton out of the starting XI against Manchester United, despite their 2-0 reverse at Old Trafford.

Zamora was struggling to be fit due to a virus, while skipper Barton was one booking away from a two match ban.

“Bobby was ill all week and was struggling with the effects of a virus a couple of days ago,” said Hughes.

“I made the decision to ensure he was 100% for Wednesday rather than risk him by giving him an hour against United at 70%, which might have compromised him.

“We couldn’t take the risk with losing Joey for two key games and given the circumstances with Shaun I am reasonably pleased with how those two decisions worked out.”

QPR’s next match is on Wednesday against Swansea at Loftus Road.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Submit your QPR player ratings

Latest QPR news

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes

QPR have reported a loss of £9.8million for the year ending May 2014, but have seen their £60million shareholders loan written off.

Calum Chambers of Arsenal replaces an injured Francis Coquelin  against Everton (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed midfielder Francis Coquelin broke his nose against Everton this afternoon.

Rafael Benitez head coach of Napoli (Photo by Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images)

Napoli manager Rafa Benitez has admitted he doesn’t know where he will be manager next season.

Junior Hoilett (L) and Shaun Wright-Phillips (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

QPR winger Shaun Wright Phillips is determined to break back into the R’s side before the end of the season.

Latest Stories from SNAP.PA

That’s what Channel 4 asked people to do and, unsurprisingly, it was tough.

Read more

And it’s not the first time this has happened.

Read more

We’re celebrating as Julia Stiles returns to our screens in Blue.

Read more

Promoted content

A look at one of our previous Design Fairs

Chelsea Old Town Hall will be the venue for the renowned Desire Fair from 6-8 March 2015. This stunning mixed media jewellery and silversmithing event where visitors can purchase direct from contemporary designer makers selected from the best in the UK is an event not to be missed.

Take our quiz and find out!

A survey conducted last year revealed that Britain is the fourth sexiest country in the world, with the UK sex toy industry worth an estimated £250 million a year.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

QPR Transfer News

Monday, March 2, 2015
QPR chairman Tony Fernandes

QPR have reported a loss of £9.8million for the year ending May 2014, but have seen their £60million shareholders loan written off.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Calum Chambers of Arsenal replaces an injured Francis Coquelin  against Everton (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed midfielder Francis Coquelin broke his nose against Everton this afternoon.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Rafael Benitez head coach of Napoli (Photo by Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images)

Napoli manager Rafa Benitez has admitted he doesn’t know where he will be manager next season.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Junior Hoilett (L) and Shaun Wright-Phillips (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

QPR winger Shaun Wright Phillips is determined to break back into the R’s side before the end of the season.

Read more