Hughes meets with Beard as Marsh gives his views

21:29 19 November 2012

QPR manager Mark Hughes. Photo: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

QPR manager Mark Hughes. Photo: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Mark Hughes tonight remains in charge of QPR despite speculation that he had been sacked.

Rumours started circulating on Twitter that Hughes’ 10-month reign at Loftus Road had come to an end after the club’s terrible start to the season.

But Kia Joorabchian, who represents Hughes, told the BBC that claims the 45-year-old had been removed from his position were “not true at all”.

QPR also said Hughes remains in charge. The former Manchester United and Bayern Munich striker is expected to take charge of training tomorrow.

Winless Rangers are rock bottom of the Barclays Premier League, five points behind 17th-placed Reading, who have a match in hand.

Hughes today met with QPR chief executive Philip Beard - the man chairman Tony Fernandes sent to fire previous manager Neil Warnock - at the club’s training ground in west London.

Hughes did not take training today, but the club insist that is common practice as they players were in for a light session.

Having signed 11 first-team players - some of them from Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Chelsea and Manchester United - Hughes was expected to guide Rangers to the top half of the table, but a 3-1 defeat to Southampton on Saturday stretched QPR’s winless run to 12 matches.

Rangers then have winnable games against Sunderland, Aston Villa and Wigan, and former QPR striker Rodney Marsh thinks Hughes should be given four matches to prove his worth.

“If I was the owner, I would sit down now and say ‘Mark, I am going to give you four games,” Marsh told BBC Sport.

“I would say ‘We are in desperate trouble. If we don’t improve our league position in four games, I am going to have to make a change.”’

Hughes himself pleaded to be given time and even said last Friday that he was convinced he could achieve a mid-table finish this season.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Submit your QPR player ratings

Latest QPR news

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes

QPR have reported a loss of £9.8million for the year ending May 2014, but have seen their £60million shareholders loan written off.

Calum Chambers of Arsenal replaces an injured Francis Coquelin  against Everton (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed midfielder Francis Coquelin broke his nose against Everton this afternoon.

Rafael Benitez head coach of Napoli (Photo by Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images)

Napoli manager Rafa Benitez has admitted he doesn’t know where he will be manager next season.

Junior Hoilett (L) and Shaun Wright-Phillips (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

QPR winger Shaun Wright Phillips is determined to break back into the R’s side before the end of the season.

Latest Stories from SNAP.PA

David Cameron will lay out his plans for helping to better protect children from sexual exploitation.

Read more

The 007 actor will take part in a “special one-off sketch” to be broadcast on Red Nose Day.

Read more

The TV presenter is aiming to keep his toes tapping for 24 hours.

Read more

Promoted content

A look at one of our previous Design Fairs

Chelsea Old Town Hall will be the venue for the renowned Desire Fair from 6-8 March 2015. This stunning mixed media jewellery and silversmithing event where visitors can purchase direct from contemporary designer makers selected from the best in the UK is an event not to be missed.

Take our quiz and find out!

A survey conducted last year revealed that Britain is the fourth sexiest country in the world, with the UK sex toy industry worth an estimated £250 million a year.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

QPR Transfer News

Monday, March 2, 2015
QPR chairman Tony Fernandes

QPR have reported a loss of £9.8million for the year ending May 2014, but have seen their £60million shareholders loan written off.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Calum Chambers of Arsenal replaces an injured Francis Coquelin  against Everton (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed midfielder Francis Coquelin broke his nose against Everton this afternoon.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Rafael Benitez head coach of Napoli (Photo by Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images)

Napoli manager Rafa Benitez has admitted he doesn’t know where he will be manager next season.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Junior Hoilett (L) and Shaun Wright-Phillips (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

QPR winger Shaun Wright Phillips is determined to break back into the R’s side before the end of the season.

Read more