QPR legend urges R’s chief to give Hughes four more games

08:10 20 November 2012

Queen

Queen's Park Rangers legend Rodney Marsh in 1969. Photo credit: PA wire

PA Archive/Press Association Images

Former QPR striker Rodney Marsh thinks manager Mark Hughes should be given more time to try to turn things around.

Defeat to fellow Premier League stugglers Southampton on Saturday ensured the west London club are still without a win after 12 games.

It has left the former Manchester United player fighting for his job at Loftus Road with some commentators calling for his head.

Yet Marsh believes Hughes should be given a deadline in which to turn his and the club’s plight around.

“If I was the owner, I would sit down now and say ‘Mark, I am going to give you four games’,” Marsh told BBC Sport.

“I would say ‘We are in desperate trouble. If we don’t improve our league position in four games, I am going to have to make a change’.”

Mark Hughes was set to take charge of QPR training today after claims he had been sacked were denied last night.

Hughes met with QPR chief executive Philip Beard - who Tony Fernandes sent to fire Neil Warnock - at the club’s training ground in west London yesterday, sparking rumours the 45-year-old could lose his position as R’s boss after just 10 months in charge.

But Hughes’ representative Kia Joorabchian denied the former Manchester City boss had been sacked last night and QPR sources also insisted the Welshman remained in charge.

The significance of Hughes not overseeing yesterday’s training session was also played down by the club, who said it was common practice given the squad were in for a light session.

Hughes was expected to go back to the club’s base in Harlington to take today’s full session and begin the process of planning for QPR’s trip to Manchester United this weekend.

Although Hughes remained in his job, pressure on the former Blackburn boss will increase unless he starts winning matches soon.

Despite a summer of huge investment, Rangers are rock bottom of the Premier League and five points from safety.

And Hughes’ problems worsened yesterday after it emerged that QPR are considering whether top scorer Bobby Zamora should have a hip operation that would rule him out for a considerable amount of time.

Chairman Fernandes has given Hughes his unequivocal backing on Twitter in recent weeks, was less forthcoming following Saturday’s loss to fellow strugglers Southampton.

He said: “I feel gutted. I have put my heart and soul into this with my other shareholders. And done all we can to give support to players and all management.

“I can only apologise to the QPR fans. We keep fighting.

“Let me tell you fans come first. Everyone including me let the fans down. Many of us need a hard look at themselves. QPR has amazing fans. They deserve better.”

The Malaysian businessman spent the weekend in the United States before heading back home, and he hinted on Twitter that Hughes’ position may be on his mind.

“On my way home from amercia,” he wrote. “Long long flught (sic) to think of many things. Just stopped of at osaka. Now back home to kuala lumpur.”

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Submit your QPR player ratings

Latest QPR news

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes

QPR have reported a loss of £9.8million for the year ending May 2014, but have seen their £60million shareholders loan written off.

Calum Chambers of Arsenal replaces an injured Francis Coquelin  against Everton (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed midfielder Francis Coquelin broke his nose against Everton this afternoon.

Rafael Benitez head coach of Napoli (Photo by Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images)

Napoli manager Rafa Benitez has admitted he doesn’t know where he will be manager next season.

Junior Hoilett (L) and Shaun Wright-Phillips (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

QPR winger Shaun Wright Phillips is determined to break back into the R’s side before the end of the season.

Latest Stories from SNAP.PA

As of this year, women are being included in menswear runway shows and men in womenswear runway shows. What does this tell us about the industry’s perspective on gender, and which designers are leading the way?

Read more

The actress just needed to find out how she would meet her end in the ITV drama.

Read more

The town has been evacuated until scientists and doctors can work out what’s going on.

Read more

Promoted content

A look at one of our previous Design Fairs

Chelsea Old Town Hall will be the venue for the renowned Desire Fair from 6-8 March 2015. This stunning mixed media jewellery and silversmithing event where visitors can purchase direct from contemporary designer makers selected from the best in the UK is an event not to be missed.

Take our quiz and find out!

A survey conducted last year revealed that Britain is the fourth sexiest country in the world, with the UK sex toy industry worth an estimated £250 million a year.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

QPR Transfer News

Monday, March 2, 2015
QPR chairman Tony Fernandes

QPR have reported a loss of £9.8million for the year ending May 2014, but have seen their £60million shareholders loan written off.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Calum Chambers of Arsenal replaces an injured Francis Coquelin  against Everton (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed midfielder Francis Coquelin broke his nose against Everton this afternoon.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Rafael Benitez head coach of Napoli (Photo by Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images)

Napoli manager Rafa Benitez has admitted he doesn’t know where he will be manager next season.

Read more
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Junior Hoilett (L) and Shaun Wright-Phillips (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

QPR winger Shaun Wright Phillips is determined to break back into the R’s side before the end of the season.

Read more