QPR manager reveals his wish for Peter Odemwingie

21:51 01 February 2013

West Bromwich Albion Peter Odemwingie. Photo: Tony Marshall/EMPICS

West Bromwich Albion Peter Odemwingie. Photo: Tony Marshall/EMPICS


QPR manager Harry Redknapp hopes Peter Odemwingie is allowed to get on with his West Brom career after the transfer debacle that rocked deadline day.

Despite a number of high-profile transfers yesterday, it was the 31-year-old’s failed move to west London that grabbed many of the headlines.

Odemwingie has made no secret in recent weeks of his desire to leave West Brom and it appeared he would get his wish when he arrived at Loftus Road yesterday, telling a media scrum a move was on the cards.

However, Albion quickly released a statement saying the Nigerian was there without permission and a deal never materialised.

Redknapp did manage to bring in Christopher Samba, Jermaine Jenas and Andros Townsend yesterday, but it was the one that got away that is still on his mind.

“This deal had been dragging on for about three weeks,” Redknapp said. “Peter Odemwingie was a player we had been trying to sign for several weeks.

“He felt a deal was done but it wasn’t done between the two clubs. There were obviously one or two sticking points.

“He travelled down and just wanted to be on the premises to get the deal done. Unfortunately, he pulled up outside the ground and the cameras were there.

“He wasn’t the only player that turned up and didn’t get a deal done. There were other players at football grounds yesterday and the deals didn’t go through at the last minute, for whatever reasons.

“I just hope the boy is going to be okay because he is a good person and it was a mistake that has been made. Hopefully he can move on from that.”

That looks unlikely at The Hawthorns after Albion chairman Jeremy Peace accused Odemwingie of acting “wholly unprofessionally”.

The player is not being considered for Sunday’s home match against Tottenham but Redknapp said: “Let’s hope people give him an opportunity now just to move on and get on with his life,” Redknapp added.

“Show me someone that hasn’t made a mistake in their life and I will show you a liar.

“Everybody makes mistakes - much bigger mistakes than he’s made. There are people playing football that have made massive mistakes in their lives and they’re back playing football.

“The kid has made a mistake. Let’s forget that now and move on and give the boy a chance. He is a good player and a good person.”

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest QPR news

Ross McCormack of Fulham (L) is congratulated by Jamie O'Hara.  (Photo by Harry Trump/Getty Images)

Charlton, QPR and Fulham all face home Championship matches this Saturday afternoon but who will be involved and who is likely to miss out?

QPR have been without Charlie Austin for a month

Former QPR boss Ian Holloway admits Charlie Austin’s injury issues are becoming a big worry.

Bobby Zamora of Brighton  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Ian Holloway claims he tried to sign Bobby Zamora when he was at Millwall but the striker rejected the chance duo to his West Ham links.

Mousa Dembele's 25-yard strike secured a late victory for Tottenham at White Hart Lane

All the latest stories from around London’s football clubs on Friday morning.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...


MAC Makeup

MAC are renowned for their flawless, fabulous make up that is used worldwide by the stars. You too can have the chance to have the perfect makeup to suit your needs with £1,000 to spend on all the glam goodies you like!

Read more

You are never far from an Argos, wherever in the country you may be. They are like a magical cavern where whatever you need they seem to have it out the back behind the counter. So why not put them to the test with this great MyOffers competition to win £1000 to spend in-store.

Read more

Latest Tech News