Striker completes move to QPR

14:51 18 June 2012

Andy Johnson

Andy Johnson

Archant

Free agent Johnson re-united with Rangers boss after joining on a two-year deal

Striker Andy Johnson has completed his switch from Fulham to QPR on a two-year deal.

Johnson is reunited with Rs boss Mark Hughes, who managed the forward at Fulham, and also follows in the footsteps of Bobby Zamora, who moved across west London in January.

The 31-year-old, who has scored 147 goals in all competitions, signed on the same day as centre-back Ryan Nelsen joined the club from Tottenham Hotspur.

Johnson, who has eight senior England caps, said: “I’ve worked closely with Mark before and there are also players here that I’ve played with previously, including Bobby Zamora and Shaun Derry.”

“Those were factors in me joining, but this is a big, big club and I’ve spoken to the chairman and Mark, who both have great ambition for QPR, and it’s something that I wanted to be a part of.”

“Mark was brilliant when I was at Fulham. I’d just come off the back of a rough spell with a knee injury and he guided and helped me through that period.

“He was great to play under. He’s a top a manager and has some fantastic staff around him.

“Being an ex-player, he knows what players want and expect. He’s excellent with the players. He speaks to them and he’s on the same level as them.

“He said it’d be great to team up again and that he was thrilled about the possibility of me joining QPR.

“He told me about the plans for a new training ground and how the Club wants to go forward. That really excited me.”


Live Blog Transfer Window Live July 28

 

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest QPR news

Steven Caulker in action for QPR (Photo by Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

Southampton have confirmed the loan signing of QPR defender Steven Caulker.

Charlie Austin of QPR celebrates (Photo by Matthew Lewis/Getty Images)

QPR owner Tony Fernandes has admitted he could lose his key players this summer, but only if his £15million valuation is met.

James McCarthy of Everton  (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)

The latest transfer news and rumours involving the London clubs.

Pedro Rodriguez of FC Barcelona (Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images)

It is set to be another busy week in the capital and here are Tuesday’s main transfer stories from around the web.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Take in the stunning sites of London from the summit of the O2!

Up at The O2 has teamed up with London24 to give one lucky reader the chance to experience urban mountaineering this summer with an exhilarating 90-minute climb across the roof of one of London’s most iconic landmarks.

Read more
Terrific tea, creamy cakes and splendid sandwiches at Mews of Mayfair.

Celebrate a truly quintessentially British tradition with the chance of winning a luxurious Afternoon Tea for two people at Mews of Mayfair, complete with a glass of Veuve Clicquot champagne.

Read more
Get up close and personal to this global phenomenon!

Following a sell-out 2014 run, the global phenomenon that is Michael Flatley’s Lord of the Dance: Dangerous Games is back in London, running at the Dominion Theatre in the heart of the West End until 5th September 2015.

Read more