West Brom say QPR target ‘acted wholly unprofessionally’ over transfer saga
08:06 01 February 2013
Transfer news: West Brom this morning told Peter Odemwingie to focus on his commitments to them after his bizarre transfer deadline day actions.
The 31-year-old striker had been a target of QPR throughout January and had repeatedly voiced his displeasure at not being allowed to leave.
However, when he drove to London and addressed a media scrum talking about a move to Rangers, it appeared a deal was on the table.
But Albion quickly released a statement saying Odemwingie was there without permission and QPR said the same, saying they had stopped him from getting into their Loftus Road ground.
As a result, a deal was not done, and West Brom have released a statement voicing their displeasure at Odemwingie’s behaviour.
It read: “Albion can confirm that no agreement was reached with QPR over the transfer of Peter Odemwingie before the closure of the January window and that the striker remains under contract at The Hawthorns.
“The club were extremely disappointed to witness TV footage of Odemwingie arriving at Loftus Road on Thursday evening despite further talks between the two Barclays Premier League sides proving fruitless. Odemwingie was also never given permission to speak to QPR about a potential move.”
Chairman Jeremy Peace added that the matter had become a point of principle and warned Odemwingie that he had to get his head around seeing out the last 18 months of his contract at the Hawthorns.
“The evening’s developments have brought a conclusion to what has been an unsavoury affair,” he said.
“As our sporting and technical director (designate) Richard Garlick has repeatedly said in recent days, we had no need or desire to sell our core players.
“The only way we would have considered letting Peter leave was if an acceptable offer was forthcoming and if we had found a suitable replacement at relatively short notice.
“Neither materialised and, in the end, the matter became a point of principle as much as anything.
“Peter has acted wholly unprofessionally. He must now accept the fact he remains under contract for a further 18 months and has to focus on his Albion commitments.”
Odemwingie is now faced with going back to West Brom looking for forgiveness, having spent the best part of the last week complaining on Twitter about their refusal to allow him to leave.
He had, though, initially thought that was in the past, telling reporters from his car: “It’s fine. West Brom was my home but this is a new chapter. I love West Brom and always will.
“I am optimistic. A few good players have arrived here (at QPR) and I am happy with the trust Harry Redknapp has in me.
“The last few results have given us a chance to stay up. I don’t think the owners will bring in so many players if they don’t think it will happen.
“I hope West Brom are happy with what they will get and they hope to get players themselves.”
Rangers boss Harry Redknapp said he had sympathy with the player, telling Sky Sports News: “I think he probably felt that the deal had been agreed between the clubs and it hadn’t and it was all a mix-up really.
“I feel sorry for the lad and the way the whole thing’s turned out. It wasn’t any of our doing. I think he was maybe advised that he should turn up here and that the club had made an offer and the offer had been accepted. The wires got crossed somewhere.”