Spurs boss tells Townsend: You’re competing with the best in the world

11:59 10 October 2012

Andros Townsend

Andros Townsend

EMPICS Sport

Andre Villas-Boas believes that Andros Townsend has the potential to become a big star for Spurs in the future.

But the head coach concedes that the 21-year-old will have to overcome some of the best players in the world if he is to hold down a regular place in the Tottenham team and make a real impact at White Hart Lane.

Townsend has made six appearances so far this campaign, scoring a fine individual effort in the 3-0 Capital One Cup victory at Carlisle.

However, that was his only start and he has been restricted to late substitute appearances in his other outings, coming off the bench for the final moments of the league victories over Reading, QPR and Aston Villa.

Villas-Boas insists that he has plenty of faith in the young winger, but he is also warning the player that he faces some of the staunchest competition on the globe as he seeks to break through and become a regular for the Lilywhites in the Premier League.

“He’s been coming in in the last couple of games and to be fair in the games he has played he has made quite the difference in terms of his contribution to the team,” said Villas-Boas.

“Obviously he competes against the best players in the world with Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon, and Clint Dempsey can play in the channels too.

“It’s difficult competition but I go back to what I always say – if a player so young like this triumphs over players of this dimension then the future is his.”

Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs

Live Blog Transfer Window Live - July 29

 

Latest Stories

54 minutes ago
Mayor Lutfur Rahman faces a full inquiry into May's election in Tower Hamlets (Picture: Tower Hamlets Council)

A full inquiry into the controversial Tower Hamlets election which saw Lutfur Rahman crowned will go ahead after the Mayor’s legal challenge was thrown out.

Read more
Ilford Jaloos 2014

A UKIP councillor has been accused of “scaring people with made-up information” after he branded an Islamic procession in Ilford “a call to war”.

Read more
Fusilier Lee Rigbywas killed whilst off duty near Woolwich Barracks by Michael Adebowale and Michael Adebolajo in May 2013  (Photo by Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images)

The father of Drummer Lee Rigby, the soldier who was brutally murdered in Woolwich last year, has said it is ‘disgusting’ that his son’s killers recived £200,000 from the state to pay for their legal costs.

Read more