Tottenham defender announces retirement and thanks fans

12:35 19 July 2012

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham Hotspur's Ledley King. Picture credit: Rebecca Naden/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Ledley King had been troubled by injuries for a number of years

Ledley King has called time on his playing career at Tottenham and will take on an ambassadorial role within the club.

The 31-year-old former England international has been at Spurs for 17 years, but persistent knee problems had made it impossible for him to train regularly in recent years.

“Tottenham has been the only club for me - and if I can’t play here then I shall look to be involved in another capacity,” King told Tottenham’s official website.

“I would like to say thank you to everyone at the club, and to the fans,” he added.

“I have been here since I was a boy, it is a second home for me. I’m pleased that I can continue to work within the club.”

Tottenham Chairman Daniel Levy, meanwhile, described King as a “wonderful player, captain and ambassador”.

“It has been well documented how he has battled against injury over the years,” said Levy.

“It is testament to the character of the man how he managed to sustain such high standards of performance on the pitch, while providing such fine leadership.”

Related articles

Live Blog Transfer Window Live - July 29

 

Latest Stories

10:48
Mayor Lutfur Rahman faces a full inquiry into May's election in Tower Hamlets (Picture: Tower Hamlets Council)

A full inquiry into the controversial Tower Hamlets election which saw Lutfur Rahman crowned will go ahead after the Mayor’s legal challenge was thrown out.

Read more
Ilford Jaloos 2014

A UKIP councillor has been accused of “scaring people with made-up information” after he branded an Islamic procession in Ilford “a call to war”.

Read more
Fusilier Lee Rigbywas killed whilst off duty near Woolwich Barracks by Michael Adebowale and Michael Adebolajo in May 2013  (Photo by Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images)

The father of Drummer Lee Rigby, the soldier who was brutally murdered in Woolwich last year, has said it is ‘disgusting’ that his son’s killers recived £200,000 from the state to pay for their legal costs.

Read more