May 25 2013 Latest news:
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Dimitar Berbatov has been slammed in his homeland after he snubbed the Bulgarian national team for a second time.
The Fulham striker is the Baltic nation’s leading goalscorer but quit the team in 2010.
Coach coach Lyuboslav Penev invited him to end his international exile with a place in the squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Italy and Armenia.
The 31-year-old, who moved from Manchester United to Fulham last week, told media in his homeland: “I confirm my previous decision, My time is over... You should find someone else,”
His refusal to change his mind has drawn heavy criticism in his homeland.
Sports daily Meridian Match yesterday carried the headline “Berbo betrayed (coach) Lubo (Penev)”, while the Sportline website said: “His refusal to play for the national team will forever remain an act devoid of moral dignity.”
“Berbatov is a player who polarises public opinion with the fans divided between those who love him or loathe him,” said Football Weekly.