May 25 2013 Latest news:
By Simon Jackson, London24’s horse racing correspondent
Friday, September 14, 2012
Horse Talk: Top horse-racing tips and the latest news
Camelot faces a maximum of eight rivals as he bids to become the first Triple Crown winner for over 40 years when he contests the Ladbrokes St Leger at Doncaster on Saturday.
The Triple Crown of the 2000 Guineas, Epsom Derby and St Leger was last won by Nijinsky in 1970 at odds of 2-7 when ridden by Lester Piggott.
Experienced racing pundits have said in the intervening years they believed no horse would again win this lucrative treble that is contested over such contrasting distances.
Yet trainer Aidan O’Brien and owners John Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith believe that this unbeaten son of Montjeu is something out of the ordinary.
“Camelot has always done things of another standard - different to any other horse. He showed his versatility from the start and anything he was asked to do he did,” O’Brien revealed.
“Everything about this horse is different - he is obviously flesh and blood but you wonder as there is a different vibe around this horse - he is a different kind of a character. There is a bigger aura around him.
“We have had a lot of horses since we came here and many have failed their tests and not got near the final exam. Or we never dreamt of asking them to sit it because we did not think there was any chance of them passing it.
“He is very unusual. To be going for the Triple Crown is something I could never dream of happening.”
LADBROKES ST LEGER
Doncaster, 3.40pm, Saturday, September 15, 2012.
(Form, horse, owner, trainer, jockey)
1) 11-111, CAMELOT, Derrick Smith, Sue Magnier, Michael Tabor - Aidan O’Brien IRE - Joseph O’Brien
2) -(3)(2)(5)(3)(0)5, DARTFORD (USA, Bjorn Nielsen - John Gosden - Robert Havlin
3) 21-123, ENCKE (USA), Godolphin - Mahmood Al Zarooni - Mickael Barzalona
4) 2111, GUARANTEE, Highclere Thoroughbred Racing-Authorized - William Haggas -Phillip Makin
5) 11-1(1)242, MAIN SEQUENCE (USA), Niarchos Family - David Lanigan - Ted Durcan
6) 3113, MICHELANGELO, Bjorn Nielsen - John Gosden - Frankie Dettori
7) 01-5115, THOMAS CHIPPENDALE (IRE), Sir Robert Ogden - Sir Henry Cecil - Tom Queally
8) 1-21431, THOUGHT WORTHY (USA), George Strawbridge - John Gosden - William Buick
9) (2)(1)2111, URSA MAJOR (IRE), Andrew Tinkler - Tommy Carmody IRE - Johnny Murtagh