Liverpool ace hails world-class Sweden striker
22:52 14 November 2012
Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s four goals stole the limelight from England centurion Steven Gerrard, who described the Sweden striker’s performance as “world class”.
The Paris St Germain striker led his side to a 4-2 victory over Roy Hodgson’s outfit at the newly opened Friends Stadium in Stockholm.
The fourth was a particular highlight, a bicycle kick from outside the area after goalkeeper Joe Hart failed to clear.
It was the first time England had tasted defeat under Hodgson in 90 minutes and Gerrard was full of praise for the game’s main protagonist.
“I still stick by Zinedine Zidane, he is the best player in the world as the best player of his generation, but his (Ibrahimovic’s) performance was world class and he just scored one of the best goals I seen live,” Gerrard told ITV1.
“It was his night. If someone scores four goals and the way he scored them....it’s one of the best I’ve seen.
“There were a lot of positives from our point of view, a lot of young players playing their first games and we can take a lot from this game.”
England seemed to have the game under control when they were 2-1 ahead thanks to goals from debutant Steven Caulker and second-half substitute Danny Welbeck, but a host of changes allowed the hosts to get back into the game.
“When you make more than three substitutions it does spoil the game,” Gerrard said.
“The manager is under pressure from other managers and he is respecting those mangers because those players are playing in Europe and it does upset the rhythm.
“We were comfortable until we made changes.”
Asked about making his 100th appearance, Gerrard added: “This is a special shirt for me. I’ll give this to my dad and it will be a nice present for him.”
- Stoke, Man City and Liverpool aces’ errors hand Ibrahimovic four as England beaten
- England boss pleased with young Lions’ performances
- How England players performed and vote for your man of the match
- Gerrard salutes Zlatan strike as best he’s seen
- Hodgson has no worries over Hart
- Zlat’s impossible - Sweden coach hails wonder goal
- Liverpool hero to give 100th England shirt to dad
- Steven Gerrard grateful for support after reaching England milestone
- Video: Was Ibrahimovic’s bicycle kick better than this selection?
- Click here for the latest sports news from around the capital
- Follow London24 Sport on Twitter for breaking news and updates
- Arsenal Latest - Opinionated blogs from Gunners fans
- All the very latest Arsenal news, features and opinion here
- Click here for the latest Arsenal transfer news
- All the very latest Chelsea news, features and opinion here.
- Click here for all the latest Chelsea transfer news
- All the latest Fulham news, features and opinion here
- Click here for all the latest Fulham transfer news
- Click here for all the latest QPR news, features and opinion
- Click here for the latest QPR transfer news
- Click here for the latest Tottenham news, features and opinion
- Click here for the latest Tottenham transfer news
- Click here for all the latest West Ham news, features and opinion
- Click here for all the latest transfer news
- Click here for the latest Crystal Palace news, features and opinion