December 12 2013 Latest news:
Saturday, September 1, 2012
Transfer news: Tottenham failed in their attempts to sign Porto star
Tottenham’s customary late foray into the transfer market brought Clint Dempsey and Hugo Lloris to White Hart Lane, but saw them missed out on top target Joao Moutinho.
Spurs had tried all day yesterday to sign the 25-year-old midfielder from Porto to replace Luka Modric. A club record £22 million fee had been agreed but talks hit a snag and then he 11pm deadline passed.
It was not all doom and gloom however, with Fulham’s attacking midfielder Clint Dempsey agreeing a late deal with Spurs after Liverpool and Aston Villa had looked more likely to sign the United States international.
Dempsey, who scored 23 goals for the Cottagers last term, will go some way to helping fill the void left by Rafael van der Vaart, who ended his two-year stay at Tottenham by rejoining Hamburg for around £10million.
Dempsey had not played for Fulham this season after it became clear he wanted a move, but he told Tottenham’s website: “A lot was said and written ahead of me leaving Fulham. It wasn’t how it was portrayed, but that’s in the past now and we move on.
“I want to thank the fans for everything, some of the best memories I’ve had in football, and thank the chairman for giving me the opportunity to come from the MLS and compete over here.
“All I can say is thank you and now I’m looking forward to the next challenge.”
Van der Vaart, who spent three years at the Bundesliga club before joining Real Madrid said he was happy to move back to Hamburg, where his wife Sylvie currently works as a TV presenter.
“This return to Hamburg is a dream come true for me and my family,” said the 29-year-old, whose move was partly financed by local businessman Klaus-Michael Kuhne.
“I owe Hamburg and Klaus-Michael Kuhne huge thanks. I am looking forward to three great years. Of course I am sad to leave Spurs and especially all the fans which have been nothing but great.”
Manager Andre Villas-Boas also strengthened his options in defence by signing France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris from Lyon for a fee that could rise to almost £12million.
However, Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas criticised Spurs chairman Daniel Levy for his actions in the negotiations, saying: “We have had people speaking all night with Daniel Levy. He talks a lot and goes back on what we’ve agreed in writing.
“It’s been very, very difficult. I’ve got 25 years of experience as a president of a club and it’s our 16th participation in a European competition in a row. But this is very rare in the football world.”
Lloris, 25, who signed a four-year contract, told Spurs TV Online: “I am here because I believe in Tottenham. I think everything is okay for the future of Tottenham.
“They have a great team, great players and a great coach so everything is all right, I think, to win a place in the Champions League next year.”
Mexican misfit Giovani Dos Santos was sold to Mallorca yesterday, while defender Danny Rose joined Sunderland on loan for the season.