December 22 2013 Latest news:
By Nick Wright
Saturday, August 31, 2013
Transfer news: West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has ruled out the possibility of bringing Chelsea’s Demba Ba back to Upton Park on loan.
West Ham old boy Ba has been tipped to leave Chelsea this summer, just months after he arrived at the club from Newcastle in January.
Both the Hammers and the Magpies have been linked with loan moves for the striker, who has fallen out of favour at Chelsea after scoring just six goals in 22 appearances last season.
Allardyce admits he would love to take Ba back to West Ham – but says there is no way the east Londoners could finance a deal.
“At this moment in time we could not afford Demba Ba,” he said. “We would like to but we can’t.”
The Hammers are expecting to sell wantaway forward Ricardo Vaz Te in the coming days, and while Allardyce is predicting a quiet finale to the transfer window, he admits he is still on the look-out for other loan opportunities.
“I expect it to be a quiet one, not like last year,” he said. “Last year in the final week it was Matt Jarvis, Andy Carroll and Yossi Benayoun. I’m glad to say we haven’t got to find three players this time.
“We haven’t got the money to find three players this time either, but if there is a chance of one loan player then that’s fine.
“If somebody goes out as well, it might be two loans. But at the moment it might not be anybody.”