Round Two results from Dunkeswell

16:00 11 April 2012

South West championship kart racing comes to Dunkeswell

South West championship kart racing comes to Dunkeswell


Round 2 of the club championship enjoyed perfect weather and hosted over 100 drivers with many new faces trying out the South West’s friendliest circuit for the first time. With increased numbers, the club was in a great position to split the cadets to give the Comers and Hondas their own grids.

Tommy Foster stamped his mark on the Comers in heat 1 carving through the field from 4th on the grid. Lewis Griffiths was battling hard to keep him honest and despite an early lead lost out to Foster on lap 5. Ollie Caldwell was third having started on pole. In heat 2, it was Griffiths who came out on top despite swapping the lead with Foster 3 times over the heat. However, he managed to get past Foster on lap 8 to take the flag. Fosters problems didn’t stop there as Caldwell nipped past to take second leaving Foster in third. Heat 3 saw Foster back on form. Despite dropping to 3rd he battled through on lap 6 to overhaul Caldwell first before dispatching Griffiths on the last lap to cross the line first and setting the fastest lap of the day with a 55.10. In the final, Foster had a good start and looked to be untroubled until lap 3 when a flying Griffiths came through from 3rd to take the lead. However, it all went wrong for Griffiths as he was overhauled, first by Foster and then Caldwell. Both these drivers spent a lap welded together before and an error allowed Griffiths back through on lap 9. Foster was quickest to counter Griffiths and a fraught last lap lunge saw him regain the lead to take the final. Griffiths was second with Caldwell third.

In the Hondas, 26 entrants meant it was going to be extremely close and interesting racing. 3 different drivers took heat wins with Tom Canning, Ryan Luscombe and Jordan Hurman all seeing the chequered flag. In heat 1, Canning was kept honest by Hurman who was always ready to pounce on any mistake. Luscombe was also in the thick of it but managed to regain 3rd on the last lap to take some valuable championship points. Heat 2 saw Luscombe take the lead on lap 5 and hold it to the flag. Again, Hurman was waiting in the wings but had to settle for another second place. Canning demonstrated his driving credentials but making up 12 places to secure 3rd. Heat 3 saw Hurman finally get his win. The final was a close run thing with all three heat winners battling it out for the win. In the end, it was Hurman from Canning with Luscombe in third. If nothing else, this class is going to be close!

With an increase in the Junior TKM’s the Libre class of Junior Blue, Mini Max and Jnr TKM was looking very healthy. In heat 1, Ben Pearson took all 3 heats in the Jnr Blues, Ryan Edwards did the same in the Jnr TKM class. In the Mini Max class, Izaac Channing took 2 heats with Sam Stephens taking the third. In the finals, novice Jake Taylor upset the order taking the win in Jnr Blue after Pearson succumbed to a mechanical problem. Edwards completed his domination of the Jnr TKM and in Mini Max, Channing demonstrated his improving grip on his new class and his championship intentions to win it.

Robbie Gallier, James Moorcroft and Sam Morgan were the main movers in the first heat of the Junior Rotax class. Gallier and Moorcroft both making up 7 places to take first and second respectively, Morgan made up 3 to take third. In heat 2, Morgan took the win from pole with Lewis Bowles making up all his places to get into second on lap 1 and remained there. In third was Lewis Malin who came from 6th on the grid to secure third by lap 3. James Moorcroft was back on form in heat 3 in what was a clean but close race. Bowles took another second place with Gallier in third. In the final it was Moorcroft who made the best start and his momentum carried him through to the lead on lap 2 and despite the best effort of Bowles, he managed to hold on to take the win. Bowles secured a hat trick of second places whilst 3 seconds back was Morgan.

The Senior Max grid enjoying its biggest grid of the year gave the crowds some close and hard racing. Heat 1 saw Team Factory Racing secure a historic 1 – 2 as Tyler Weedon got past pole man, Taylor Adams, to take the win. Adams was less than a second behind at the finish. Will Maslin, on his return to Dunks, managed to avoid all the action to take third on lap 7 and hold it to the flag. Chris Davis, who was also competing in the 177 class, showed his Super 1 credentials to take the win in heat 2 with James Clarkson, who made up 6 places at the start taking second. Pole man, Maslin who battled hard, managed to retain third. Josh Collings dominated the rerun heat 3 after it was halted due to a mass coming together. Stewart Baker took second and Clarkson third. In the final, Collings made his mark early on to get ahead and stay there. Clarkson, despite a poor start, battled back to make up 4 places to take second with Davis rounding off the podium in third.

The 177 grid was dominated by Colin Davis who, despite racing in the senior class as well, took 2 heat wins and a second in heat 3. Tom Cook and Carl Watts were second and third respectively in heat 1 whilst in heat 2, it was Watts who secured second with 2011 Champion, Darren Lane, in third. Lane took the win in heat 3 with Davis, who made up 11 places to taking second. Veteran, Rob Knight, showed his vast experience to take third. The final was dominated by pole man, Davis, who was untroubled from lights to flag. Behind him, Carl Watts looked set for second until a mechanical issue caused him to DNF. This elevated Lane to second and a worthy third to Knight.

Ron Shone took all three heat wins and the final in the Senior Blue class as he showed novices, Arthur Thurtle and Mike Ross how to race round Dunkeswell.

Dunkeswell welcomed local legend, Roy Beal, back into the 250 gearbox fold and in heat 1 he duly delivered taking the win. Tom Matthews was second with Ash Goodliffe in third. Matthews took the win in heat 2 with Goodliffe hanging on for second. Beal started third and finished third after pole man, Roger Hearmon, DNF’d due to a mechanical issue. It all went wrong for Beal in heat 3 when a cracked chassis forced him to retire on lap 4. Matthews took his second win of the day with Goodliffe in second and Hearmon in third. The Final was a straightforward affair as with Beal not starting a podium was guaranteed providing you finished! Matthews took the flag and the win after both Hearmon and Goodliffe succumbed to mechanical problems 1 lap from home.

All in all an outstanding weekends action that has shown Dunkeswell Kart Racing Club to be one of the best places to race or watch motorsport in the South West. For more details please visit Next race weekend is April 28/29. See you there!

Final Results and Standings:

Comer Cadet

1. 53 Tommy Foster Zip

2. 25 Lewis Griffiths Zip

3. 64 Olli Caldwell Zip

Honda Cadet

1. 46 Jordan Hurman Project 1

2. 42 Tom Canning Project 1

3. 99 Ryan Luscombe Project 1

Junior Blue

1. 98 (N) Jake Taylor Corsa

2. 74 Nathan Booth CAT

3. 7 Ben Pearson CRG

Junior TKM

1. 33 Ryan Edwards Tal-Ko

2. 39 James Chubb Octane

3. 29 Louis Beavan

Rotax MiniMax

1. 22 Izaac Channing Alonso

2. 24 Sam Stephens Alonso

3. 21 Dominic Shepherd Tony

Junior Rotax

1. 21 James Moorcroft Tony

2. 97 Lewis Bowles Gillard

3. 41 Sam Morgan Alonso

Senior Rotax

1. 45 Joshua Collings CRG

2. 66 James Clarkson Tony

3. 17 Chris Davis CRG

Rotax 177

1. 4 Colin Davis CRG

2. 28 Darren Lane Storm

3. 33 Rob Knight Redspeed

Senior Blue

1. 11 Ron Shone Corsa

2. 74 (N) Athur Thurtle AMV

3. 37 (N) Mike Ross Mac

250 N Gearbox

1. 26 Tom Mathews

2. 50 Roger Hearmon Anderson

3. 34 Ash Goodliffe Anderson

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6


Latest Tech News

Quirky London

Friday, May 27, 2016
Who doesn't love bunnies?  (Photo: Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

The pop-up bunny cafe that got Londoners so excited earlier this week has been cancelled after controversy and alleged threats.


Friday, May 27, 2016
A Bakerloo Line carriage (Photo: Peter Skuce)

There is currently no service on the Bakerloo Line between Piccadilly Circus and Queens Park after a man was hit by a train at Edgware Road.

Old London